Saturday, October 15, 2011

Babymoon

Oliver and I were lucky enough to take a "Babymoon" weekend last weekend.  We went to Old Saybrook, stayed in a beautiful hotel overlooking a lighthouse and marina, and enjoyed an AMAZING weekend. We got to get back to just us.

The weather was true to an indian summer - 80s, sunny, with a light breeze!  We actually got to read, enjoy a coffee, and relax by the pool (in our bathing suits!!).  We had two nice dinners, went to the movies, went shopping, got massages and just talked.  We talked a lot about this blog and what I want to do as hobbies - and it gave me time to just think. Nice!

Oliver really wants me to give sailing a try next summer. He wants me to be able to sail on my own and be able to handle a boat if anything happens to him.  His dream is to have a family vacation on sailboat in the Caribbean - and I also want to do this, but I have been hesitant to because if anything happens to him, I am not competent enough to sail on my own.  I did love sailing in pre-baby years - we used to sail in Germany and London almost every weekend.  I found it relaxing and a good mix of socialization with actually doing something.  Now, when I think about sailing I focus on how much time I am away from family or, if we bring the kid(s) I have fears of them falling overboard.

Maybe I should look past those fears.  Learn to sail on my own and gain more confidence and add sailing to my list.  It is a new challenge, I love being on the water and eventually I can even add family to the mix and do both at the same time!  Who knows..maybe I will fall in love with it :)


2 comments:

  1. I am totally the same way! Many trips w/ Mark's parents have been a big help for me though. I might almost be ready for a trip that lasts that long (although a chill goes up my spine as I think that)
    not that you all will be doing this soon - but I'll type while I have it on the brain :)
    I really think the key is finding ways to increase the comfort zone...I definitely suggest the following -
    1. go for a big sail boat (Mark's parents have 44 ft and that is perfect, anything smaller would suck I think) - and make sure it has fences all the way around the deck.
    2. bring backup (relatives that don't annoy you, etc) - if not for the whole trip, then maybe come inland a couple times (you'll have to for supplies anyway) and keep switching out competent guests
    3. giant life vests and swim lessons.
    4. be strict. Maya knows she absolutely may not be on deck w/ out her vest on - no exceptions. and keep everything locked that can be locked at all times except when you are using it. that includes all doors and windows.

    ...and so forth. and anything you can think of that makes the trip feel as low maintenance as possible. :)

    ok done rambling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! We have Mia on Oliver's dad's motor boat - but a sailboat is totally different...

    I think the swim lesson is something we need to do soon - we tried this summer, but Mia freaked out...

    Also, if I learn to sail well enough - I can do the sailing and Oliver can be on kid duty..but I think we will both need to be good at boundaries...

    ReplyDelete