Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pendulum Swing

Update:

It has been 7 months since my surgery.  Still feeling good (which is important), but my thryoid levels have had a pendulum swing.  I am currently hypothyroid trying to sort out the right synthroid levels.

I am off the calcium supplements and my levels are good.  I have to take iron supplements and D3 (I think because this is winter time and I always get low iron in the winter)

From month 3-6 after surgery, I lost ALOT of hair.  The endo was 99% sure this is from a combination of stress and hypothyroidism.  It stopped exactly 6 months after surgery (which is exactly what my hair did post-pregnancy) - this tends to be common with stress, so doc was not concerned and my hair is back to normal (just growing in a little funny).

I am going to the Dr. monthly until my thyroid levels are back to normal.  I am currently on 137mcg (started at 100, went up to 125, now at 137).  There is a slight concern I have a gluten intolerance which is stopping me from absorbing the right amount of synthroid...but no panic yet :)

I still feel 100% better than being hyperthyroid...If it weren't for the bloodwork, I would think I was back to normal.

Oh - and my scar has faded so much - I don't think people notice it at all.  I had an awesome surgeon!!

Overall - even though there is some sh*t to deal with, I really feel I made the right decision.  A thyroidectomy might not be for everyone, but it was the best choice for me...

On a side note - I decided to train for a half marathon - I am on month 2 and feeling great (even ran 10miles yesterday!).  This just goes to show how quickly the body can bounce back!

No comments:

Post a Comment