Monday, June 25, 2012

Back to square 1

My "good news" was short lived..

The reason I had a "good" blood test was because I was taking iodine (to prepare for surgery)...  Apparently it lowers the levels temporarily, but doesn't work long-term.

I took a blood test this past Friday (two weeks after my "good" blood test) and my levels are even worse than they were in April and my liver enzymes are back up...My Endo is uncomfortable with me waiting until September..

To be honest, I do feel a little different.  More jumpy...More anxious...More "out of it"..

I am also reconsidering surgery vs. radioactive iodine.  The endo is really positive about radioactive iodine.  She said they do a study to see how your thyroid metabolizes and then they base the dose on that...  She said it is very little - not the same as totally removing your thyroid.

The plus side is there is a small chance (20%) I don't go hypothyroid and it is less intrusive...

Right now I am actually leaning towards RAI.

I feel like I am really flip-flopping on this decision..but it is a pretty serious one...

No comments:

Post a Comment